Calling to Colombia
- A leading ‘0’ is not included in the international call sequence – it is only used in Colombia for domestic long distance calls and domestic calls to a mobile phone.
- A leading '+' in the phone number means 'dial your country's exit code'.
- Calling from a mobile phone: dial from on the country where you're currently located.
- Calling from a VoIP or satellite phone: dial from on the country where the phone is registered.
… to a mobile (cellular) phone or text (sms)
Use the same call sequence.
Mobile phone numbers begin with ‘3’. Phone numbers are often listed as ’03’, however the leading ‘0’ is not dialed when calling from outside the country.
When calling a mobile phone user, call to the country where the mobile phone is registered, regardless of where the person being called is currently roaming.
… to a VoIP phone
Use the same call sequence.
When calling a VoIP phone user, call to the country where the VoIP phone is registered, regardless of where the person being called is currently roaming.
… to a satellite phone
Colombia does not have a country-specific satellite phone system.
Most satellite phones operate on their own country code – calls to these satellite phones follow their own call sequence.
… sending a fax
Use the same call sequence.
Calling within Colombia (domestic dialing)
‘0’ followed by a one or three digit carrier selection code is used as a trunk prefix when calling within Colombia.
’03’ is used to call between from a landline to a mobile phone or from a mobile phone to a landline.
Local calling – to and from a landline in the same area code
To call to a landline from a landline in the same area code dial only the local subscriber number. Do not dial the trunk prefix ‘0’, the carrier selection code, or the area code.
|local phone number|
Landline to mobile phone calling – from a landline to a mobile phone
To call from a landline to a mobile phone dial ’03’ to indicate a call to a mobile phone, then the three mobile phone carrier number, then the seven digit subscriber number.
|03||three digits||seven digits|
|indicates a call from a landline to a mobile phone||carrier code||subscriber number|
Mobile to mobile calling – from a mobile phone to a mobile phone
To call to a mobile phone from a mobile phone, dial the carrier code and the subscriber number.
|three digits||seven digits|
|carrier code||subscriber number|
Mobile to landline calling – from a mobile phone to a landline in any area code
To call from a mobile phone to a landline dial ’03’ to indicate a call to a landline, then the area code, the the landline number.
|03||one digit||seven digits|
|indicates a call from a mobile phone to a landline||area code||local phone number|
Long distance calling – calling from a landline to a landline in a a different area code
To call to a landline in a different area code first dial the trunk prefix ‘0’, then a one or three digit carrier selection code, then the area code, then the local phone number.
Common carrier selection codes are:
|0||one or three digits||one digit||seven digits|
|trunk prefix||secondtwo||area code||local subscriber number|
Colombian phone numbers explained
Colombian phone numbers are eight (landline) or ten digits (mobile phones).
With landlines, the first digit is an area code that represents a geographic part of the country.
Mobile numbers are ten digits. The first digit is ‘3’. The first three digits identiy the mobile phone carrier.
An example of a Colombian phone number
The Museo Nacional de Colombia lists its local phone number in Bogota as +57 1 381 6470.
Phone number explanation
|country code for Colombia||area (geographic) code for Bogota||local phone number in Bogota|
Local example – calling from a landline from another location in Bogota, Colombia
To call within the same area code to and from a landline dial only the local seven digit phone number. Do not dial a trunk prefix, carrier selection code, or area code.
|local phone number in Bogota|
Long distance example – calling from a landline in Medellin, Colombia
To call with a landline to a landline in a different area code, dial the trunk prefix ‘0’, then a carrier selection code, then the one digit area code, then the seven digit local subscriber number.
|0||x or xxx||1||381 6470|
|trunk prefix||carrier selection code||area (geographic) code for Bogota||local phone number in Bogota|
Mobile phone example – calling from a mobile phone to a landline (including a foreign mobile roaming in Colombia)
To call from a mobile phone to a landline, dial ’03’, then the one digit area code, then the seven digit local subscriber number.
|mobile to landline code||area (geographic) code for Bogota||local phone number in Bogota|
International example – calling from outside Colombia
Do not dial any leading ‘0’ listed in the Colombian phone number.
|exit code||57||1||381 6470|
|exit code of the country the call is dialed from||country code for Colombia||area (geographic) code for Bogota||local phone number in Bogota|
Calling from Colombia
To call from Colombia to an international location, use ’00x’ or ’00xxx’ where ‘x’ or ‘xxx’ are the carrier selection code used to call the international switchboard.
Administrative and regulatory
- Comisión de Regulación de Comunicaciones (CRC) and Ministerio de Tecnologías de la Información y las Comunicaciones (MinTIC) – Colombia’s telephone systems regulators.
- ITU (International Telecommunications Union) – United Nations specialized agency for information and communications technologies
Sources and more resources
- International Telecommunications Union – DIALLING PROCEDURES (INTERNATIONAL PREFIX, NATIONAL (TRUNK) PREFIX AND NATIONAL (SIGNIFICANT) NUMBER) (IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITU-T RECOMMENDATION E.164 (11/2010)) – collection of dialing procedures for all countries and regions of the world. Retrieved 16 September 2016.
- International Telecommunications Union – Colombia (country code +57) National Numbering Plan – details of Colombia’s telephone numbering plan as submitted to the ITU. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Wikipedia – Telephone numbers in Colombia – Wikipedia entry for telephone number data for Colombia. Includes specific number ranges for each city as well as detail on calling procedures.
- BT – The Phonebook – Colombia – entry for Colombia in the British Telecom international directory.