The quick rule of thumb for leading a leading ‘0’, ‘1’, or ‘+’ in a call sequence is:
- Drop a leading ‘0’ for international calls – with some exceptions
- Keep a leading ‘1’ for international calls – with some exceptions
- Replace a leading ‘+’ with your country’s exit code except when calling between countries within the North American Numbering Plan (Canada, the United States, most regions of the Caribbean, and U.S. Territories in the Pacific)
- When in doubt, keep a leading ‘0’ or ‘1’ in the call sequence
- Ignore the + and the next group of numbers (numbers without a space between them)
See our resources on the specific country you’re calling to (or within).