Calling between Iridium phones
Calling between Iridium phones is done through the international calling sequence
|00||881 6||eight digits|
|international exit code||Iridium country code||Iridium phone number|
First: dial ’00’ – the international country code.
Second: dial ‘881 6’ – the country code for Iridium phones.
Third: dial eight digits – the specific Iridium phone number.
Iridium phone numbers explained
Phone number structure
Iridium phone numbers are eight digits.
There are no area codes or phone number designators – each phone is assigned its own phone number.
Calling internationally from an Iridium satellite phone
’00’ is used as an international exit code when dialing an international call from an Iridium satellite phone.
Administrative and regulatory
- ITU (International Telecommunications Union) – United Nations specalized agency for information and communications technologies
- Iridium – official page for Iridium
- Iridium support – official support page for Iridium services
Sources and more resources
- International Telecommunications Union – DIALLING PROCEDURES (INTERNATIONAL PREFIX, NATIONAL (TRUNK) PREFIX AND NATIONAL (SIGNIFICANT) NUMBER) (IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITU-T RECOMMENDATION E.164 (11/2010)) – collection of dialing procedures for all countries and regions of the world. Retrieved 11 October 2016
- International Telecommunications Union – Iridium (country code +881 6, +881 7) Communication of 17.XII.2015 – details of Iridium telephone numbering plan as submitted to the ITU. Retrieved 11 October 2016
- Wikipedia – Iridium – Wikipedia entry for Iridium.
- Iridium – How do I make a call to/from the Iridium system? – official instructions from Iridium on how to dial calls to, from, and between Iridium satellite phones.
- Iridium – Test your satellite phone – official instructions from Iridium on testing a satellite phone.