Calling to Laos
- A leading ‘0’ is not included in the international call sequence – it is only used in Laos for domestic long distance calls.
- A leading '+' in the phone number means 'dial your country's exit code'.
- Calling from a mobile phone: dial from on the country where you're currently located.
- Calling from a VoIP or satellite phone: dial from on the country where the phone is registered.
Cambodia’s country code may be mis-labelled:
- Country code 00 856 (exit code of ’00’ used in many European, Asian, and African nations followed by Laos’ country code of ‘856’).
- Country code 011 856 (exit code of ‘011’ used in the United States and Canada followed by Cambodia’s country code of ‘856’).
When calling to a mis-labelled country code, remove the exit code from the call sequence and replace it with the exit code of the country the call is dialed from.
… to a mobile (cellular) phone
Use the same call sequence.
Laotian mobile phone numbers occupy area code ‘020’ (’20’ when dialed from outside the country).
When calling a mobile phone user, call to the country where the mobile phone is registered, regardless of where the person being called is currently roaming.
… to a VoIP phone
VoIP phone numbers based in Laos are accessed with the same call sequence as a regular landline phone.
There are no designated VoIP exchanges in Laos.
When calling a VoIP phone user, call to the country where the VoIP phone is registered, regardless of where the person being called is currently roaming.
… to a satellite phone
Laos does not have a country-speicifc satellite phone system.
Most satellite phones operate on their own country code – calls to these satellite phones follow their own call sequence.
… sending a fax
Use the same call sequence.
Calling within Laos (domestic dialing)
‘0’ is used as a trunk prefix when calling within between different area codes in Laos. When calling within the same area code, the trunk prefix ‘0’ and the area code do not need to be dialed.
Local calling (inside the same area code)
To call within the same area code, dial only the local phone number. Do not dial the trunk prefix ‘0’ or the area code.
|local phone number|
Long distance calling (between different area codes, or between mobile phones)
To call within different area codes, dial the trunk prefix ‘0’ followed by the area code and local phone number.
|0||two digits||six digits|
|trunk prefix||area code||local phone number|
Lao phone numbers explained
Lao phone numbers are eight digits.
The first two digits are an area (geographic) code.
Mobile numbers being with ’20’. They are dialed the same way as all other numbers in Laos.
An example of a Lao phone number
The Dharva Hotel lists its phone number in Vientiane as +856 (21) 222238.
|country code for Laos||area (geographic) code for Vientiane||local phone number in Vientiane|
Local example – calling from another location in Vientiane
When calling within the same area code, only the local phone number is dialed.
|local phone number in Vientiane|
Long distance example – calling from Pakxe, Laos (on the other side of the country)
When calling between area codes, dial the trunk prefix ‘0’ as well as the destination area code and local phone number.
|trunk prefix||area (geographic) code for Vientiane||local phone number in Vientiane|
International example – calling from outside Laos
Dial the exit code of the country the call is dialed from, followed by Laos’ country code of ‘856’, followed by the area code and local phone number.
|exit code of the country the call is dialed from||country code for Laos||area (geographic) code for Vientiane||local phone number in Vientiane|
… by province
|20||Mobile (020-2 ETL, 020-5 Lao Telecom, 020-7 Beeline, 020-9 Unitel)|
… by city
|Luang Prabang (Louangphrabang)||71|
|Muang Xay (Oudomxai)||81|
|Phonsavan (Ban Phonsavan)||61|
|Xam Neua (Xam Nua, Sam Neua)||64|
Phone books, directories, and number lookup
- Lao Yellow Pages – the primary yellow pages business directory for Laos. Includes search and the ability to browse by category.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs – foreign affairs Ministry for Laos. On the left hand sidebar there is a dropdown menu for other ministries within the Lao government.
- … see more
Calling from Laos
Administrative and regulatory
- Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications – primary regulator for Lao telecommunications networks.
- APT (Asia-Pacific Telecommunity) – Intergovernmental organization that works with government, manufacturing, and research & development in the telecommunications industry
- ITU (International Telecommunications Union) – United Nations specalized agency for information and communications technologies.
Sources and more resources
- International Telecommunications Union – DIALLING PROCEDURES (INTERNATIONAL PREFIX, NATIONAL (TRUNK) PREFIX AND NATIONAL (SIGNIFICANT) NUMBER) (IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITU-T RECOMMENDATION E.164 (11/2010)) – collection of dialing procedures for all countries and regions of the world. Retrieved 8 October 2016
- International Telecommunications Union – Lao P.D.R. (country code +856) national numbering plan on file with ITU – details of Laos’ telephone numbering plan as submitted to the ITU. Retrieved 10 November 2016
- Wikipedia – Telephone numbers in Laos – Wikipedia entry for telephone number data for Laos. Includes specific number ranges for each city as well as detail on calling procedures.
- BT – the Phonebook – Laos International Codes – summary of phone codes for Laos from the BT phone book.