Calling to North Korea
- A leading ‘0’ is not included in the international call sequence – it is only used in North Korea for domestic long distance calls and domestic calls to a mobile phone.
- A leading '+' in the phone number means 'dial your country's exit code'.
- Calling from a mobile phone: dial from on the country where you're currently located.
- Calling from a VoIP or satellite phone: dial from on the country where the phone is registered.
Calling within North Korea (domestic dialing)
‘0’ is used as a trunk prefix used when calling within North Korea.
North Korean phone numbers explained
North Korean phone numbers are six to ten digits.
The first one to three digits are an area code representing a geographic part of the country.
Many phone numbers within North Korea are inaccessible outside of the country (or when calling within the country). Phone numbers that being with 2 381 can usually make and receive international calls.
Calling from North Korea
’00’ is used as an exit code when dialing an international phone call from North Korea.
Administrative and regulatory
- ITU (International Telecommunications Union) – United Nations specialized agency for information and communications technologies
Sources and more resources
- International Telecommunications Union – DIALLING PROCEDURES (INTERNATIONAL PREFIX, NATIONAL (TRUNK) PREFIX AND NATIONAL (SIGNIFICANT) NUMBER) (IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITU-T RECOMMENDATION E.164 (11/2010)) – collection of dialing procedures for all countries and regions of the world. Retrieved 16 September 2016.
- International Telecommunications Union – North Korea (country code +850) Communication of 29.IV.2011 – details of North Korea’s telephone numbering plan as submitted to the ITU. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- Wikipedia – Telephone numbers in North Korea – Wikipedia entry for telephone number data for North Korea. Includes specific number ranges for each city as well as detail on calling procedures.
- BT – The Phonebook – North Korea (DPRK) – entry for North Korea in the British Telecom international directory.