Calling to Vietnam
- A leading ‘0’ is not included in the international call sequence – it is only used in Vietnam for domestic long distance calls.
- A leading '+' in the phone number means 'dial your country's exit code'.
- Calling from a mobile phone: dial from on the country where you're currently located.
- Calling from a VoIP or satellite phone: dial from on the country where the phone is registered.
Vietnam’s country code may be mis-labelled:
- Country code 0084 (exit code of ’00’ used in many European, Asian, and African nations followed by Vietnam’s country code of ’84’).
- Country code 01184 (exit code of ‘011’ used in the United States and Canada followed by Vietnam’s country code of ’84’).
When calling to a mis-labelled country code, remove the exit code from the call sequence and replace it with the exit code of the country the call is dialed from.
… to a mobile (cellular) phone
Use the same call sequence.
Vietnamese mobile phone numbers begin with numbers ‘120’ to and including ‘129’, ‘162’ to and including ‘169’, ‘186’, 188′, ‘199’, ‘868’, ’88’, ’89’, and ‘9’ with the exception of ‘992’.
When calling a mobile phone user, call to the country where the mobile phone is registered, regardless of where the person being called is currently roaming.
… to a VoIP phone
VoIP phone numbers based in Vietnam are accessed with the same call sequence as a regular landline phone.
There are no designated VoIP exchanges in Vietnam.
When calling a VoIP phone user, call to the country where the VoIP phone is registered, regardless of where the person being called is currently roaming.
… to a satellite phone
Vietnam has area code ‘992’ reserved for satellite systems.
Most satellite phones operate on their own country code – calls to these satellite phones follow their own call sequence.
… sending a fax
Use the same call sequence.
Calling within Vietnam (domestic dialing)
‘0’ is used as a trunk prefix when calling within Vietnam.
Local calling (calling within the same area code)
Calls within the same area code are only dialed with the local phone number. There is no trunk prefix ‘0’ or area code dialed.
|five to eight digits|
|local phone number|
Long distance calling (calling between different area codes)
Calls between different area codes are dialed with the trunk prefix ‘0’ as well as the area code in the call sequence.
|country code for Vietnam||geographic (area) code for Hanoi||local phone number in Hanoi|
If this number was dialed from another location in Hanoi it would be dialed:
|local phone number in Hanoi|
If this number was dialed from Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam (on the other side of the country) it would be dialed:
|trunk prefix||geographic (area) code for Hanoi||local phone number in Hanoi|
If this number was dialed from outside Vietnam it would be dialed:
|exit code of the country the call is dialed from||country code for Vietnam||geographic (area) code for Hanoi||local phone number in Hanoi|
…by city (province)
|Bắc Ninh (Bắc Ninh)||241, 222|
|Biên Hòa (Đồng Nai)||61, 251|
|Buôn Ma Thuột (Đắk Lắk)||500, 262|
|Cà Mau (Cà Mau)||780, 290|
|Can Tho||710, 292|
|Đà Lạt (Lâm Đồng)||63, 262|
|Da Nang||511, 236|
|Hạ Long (Quảng Ninh)||33, 203|
|Ha Noi||4, 24|
|Hai Phong||31, 225|
|Ho Chi Minh City||82, 83, 84, 85, 862, 863, 866, 871, 873, 28|
|Huế (Thừa Thiên–Huế)||54, 234|
|Long Xuyên (An Giang)||76, 296|
|Mỹ Tho (Tiền Giang)||73, 273|
|Nha Trang (Khánh Hòa)||58, 258|
|Phan Thiết (Bình Thuận)||62, 252|
|Quy Nhơn (Bình Định)||56, 256|
|Rạch Giá (Kiên Giang)||77, 297|
|Thái Bình (Thái Bình)||36, 227|
|Thái Nguyên (Thái Nguyên)||280, 208|
|Vinh (Nghệ An)||38, 238|
|Vũng Tàu (Bà Rịa–Vũng Tàu)||64, 254|
|Việt Trì (Phú Thọ)||210|
Source: Viet Nam (country code +84) Communication of 23.II.2012. itu.int. Retrieved 10 November 2016, from http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/oth/02/02/T02020000E40001PDFE.pdf
Toll-free numbers do not incur a charge when dialed domestically.
Premium service numbers are at a higher charge than regular phone calls.
Special numbers may or may not be available from outside the country, and if they do connect may be at regular call rates (or higher).
Phone books, directories, and number lookup
- Vietnam Yellow Pages (yp.vn) – business directory covering Vietnam. Features a category directory and search bar as well as a map search.
- Vietnam Yellow Pages (yellowpages.com.vn) – business directory covering Vietnam. Features custom search (through google) as well as category listings of businesses in Vietnam.
- Socialist Republic of Vietnam Government Portal – The main portal for the Government of Vietnam. Includes listings for central government offices, ministries, and local governments.
- … see more
Calling from Vietnam
Administrative and regulatory
- Ministry of Information and Communication – primary regulator for Vietnamese telecommunications networks.
- APT (Asia-Pacific Telecommunity) – Intergovernmental organization that works with government, manufacturing, and research & development in the telecommunications industry
- ITU (International Telecommunications Union) – United Nations specalized agency for information and communications technologies.
Sources and more resources
- International Telecommunications Union – DIALLING PROCEDURES (INTERNATIONAL PREFIX, NATIONAL (TRUNK) PREFIX AND NATIONAL (SIGNIFICANT) NUMBER) (IN ACCORDANCE WITH ITU-T RECOMMENDATION E.164 (11/2010)) – collection of dialing procedures for all countries and regions of the world. Retrieved 8 October 2016
- International Telecommunications Union – Vietnam (country code +84) national numbering plan on file with ITU – details of Vietnam’s telephone numbering plan as submitted to the ITU. Retrieved 10 November 2016
- Wikipedia – Telephone numbers in Vietnam – Wikipedia entry for telephone number data for Vietnam. Includes specific number ranges for each city as well as detail on calling procedures.
- XN Tours – How to use a mobile phone in Vietnam 5 easy steps – private blog with details on using a foreign cellular phone in Vietnam. Includes general calling instructions while in the country.